University of Washington, Tacoma
Since its 1997 opening in a group of six repurposed historic brick warehouses, the University of Washington Tacoma (UWT) campus has served as a catalyst for change in the city of Tacoma. Located in the Union Depot-Warehouse Historic District, just south of the central business district along Pacific Avenue, the city’s main thoroughfare, UWT has helped renew an area long characterized by economic decline. The new campus was the third major part of the district’s revitalization, following the 1992 rehabilitation of the 1911 Union Depot as a federal courthouse and the 1996 opening of the Washington State History Museum, both of which stand just across the street from UWT. Between its official opening in 1997 and 2016, the UWT campus has grown from 6 buildings to 23 buildings: a combination of rehabilitated warehouses and new purpose-built structures.
Nicoletta, Julie, "University of Washington, Tacoma" (2019). SIAS Faculty Publications. 1059.