The Pantages Theater in downtown Tacoma is the oldest surviving theater designed by architect B. Marcus Priteca for vaudeville entrepreneur Alexander Pantages. Located on the southeast corner of Ninth Street and Broadway, the elaborately detailed theater building opened in 1918 for vaudeville, with upper floors reserved for office space, in what was then a bustling downtown area. The theater stood amidst a number of other significant structures, including Tacoma’s City Hall, the Northern Pacific Railway headquarters, and numerous hotels and office buildings. Nearly 100 years later and following several renovations as well as shifts in function and ownership, the Pantages Theater remains a downtown anchor, currently central to a theater district that may inspire the bustle of Tacoma once again.
Nicoletta, Julie, "Pantages Theater" (2019). SIAS Faculty Publications. 1060.